A container is a type of an operating system virtualization which helps in the efficient running of applications across platforms with minimum consumption of resources. As a matter of fact, a single container can be used to run anything from necessary executables to libraries, configuration files or even basic or advanced binary codes. Containers are lightweight and portable, a major point to consider while deploying them in cloud. In addition, multiple containers can be deployed as a part of one or more container clusters, and to manage them efficiently, you can make use of container orchestrators such as Kubernetes. There are other orchestrators, however, Kubernetes is a widely used container orchestrator.
Now that you have basic information about containers, let’s dive a foot deep in knowing how it can benefit your business and start the ROI cycle at the earliest.
Benefits of Containers:
- Containers enable rapid deployment, patching and scaling of applications. The efficiency derived from containers is unmatched.
- Containers consume less system requirements than traditional hardware or a VM type of setup. The sole reason contributing for a less overhead consumption is because containers don’t require operating system images for functioning.
- The portability aspect in containers enables easy and quick deployment to multiple hardware platforms and operating systems. Consider this option as a cost-saving advantage in your app modernization journey.
- Containers support or rather accelerate development, production cycles and tests, and this is possible since they highly support agile and DevOps efforts.
- Expect maximum performance consistency from containers as your DevOps team will exactly know how the application will function regardless of it being deployed on any platform.
Here is a quick readout of the statistics from one of the containerized projects. Apart from these benefits, there are many reasons why you should containerize your applications. To add on, Lift & Shift type of approach works best when the aim of your business is only to change the app environment in which it is functioning. But if you want to extract the maximum potential from cloud – then consider containerizing the application which is much more than just Lift & Shift. And this is exactly where CloudHedge can accelerate enterprises to containerize their applications.
Now, here is the interesting part, especially when I can confirm and say it in bold. The main differentiator of CloudHedge is to automate app containerization approach. What others will take to containerize apps in months, CloudHedge enables them to containerize in weeks by automating a major part of the process! Don’t believe right? Watch the video in the footer of the blog post to get an idea of how CloudHedge partially automates the containerization process. More to this, you can read my next blog (Link) which further talks on automated containerization of apps using CloudHedge.
Containerize your apps even if you are already on cloud, it matters a lot when you need to scale up or save on time, costs and resources. If you haven’t migrated your legacy applications, then consider CloudHedge’s automated app containerization since you will be able to extract the maximum potential from cloud, be it AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Oracle Cloud or even IBM Cloud Platform. CloudHedge is the leader in automated app containerization space, we have positioned ourselves a step above others by supporting age-old applications residing on Windows 2003. In addition, you can read our case study which extensively talks about how we helped a top 5 Oil & Gas company by modernizing their mission-critical applications within 3months instead of 18months timeline given by the customer.